State coalitions actively work to promote physical activity on many fonts:
- Actively support state and federal legislation and public policy that supports and promotes physical activity:
- Conducting state and local physical activity programs that are designed to encourage behavior change;
- Mobilizing community-based organizations;
- Cultivating effective contacts with public officials, community leaders, media, and other policymakers;
- Supporting NCPPA national efforts.
Although the leadership and membership vary from state to state, many of the coalitions co-sponsor the same national events and campaigns.
- For example, several state coalitions sponsor ACES (All Children Exercise Simultaneously) organized by the Youth Fitness Coalition, Inc. (see http://www.projectaces.com), and Walk to School events (see http://www.walktoschool-usa.org).
- Many coalitions belong to Healthy People 2010 coalitions organized by state and local health departments or other coalitions promoting activity-friendly communities (see www.healthycommunities.org).