Take Action on the
Personal Health Investment Today Act (PHIT)
America Needs to GET PHIT!
Tell Congress you support the reintroduction of the PHIT Act
What Is PHIT?
- Legislation pending in Congress to allow for reimbursement of physical activity expenses using pre-tax dollars.
- Reduces the costs of physical activity to encourage healthier lifestyles.
Why Is PHIT Important To Healthcare Reform?
- Healthcare spending continues to rise at an alarming rate. Medical expenditures account for 17% of the money generated by the U.S. economy. By 2015 the U.S. will spend $1 of every $5 ($4 trillion) on medical expenses.
- A top priority of healthcare reform is to reduce spending. The World Health Organization reported that in the U.S. an investment of $1 in physical activity leads to $3.20 in medical costs savings.
- With 20% of the population accounting for 80% of health costs, prevention of costly chronic diseases is critical to reform efforts. Increased physical activity will improve health by preventing illness to lower medical spending.
How Does PHIT Work?
- Currently pre-tax medical accounts are primarily used for reimbursement of medical expenses once you become sick. PHIT would allow taxpayers to place up to $2,000 a year in existing pre-tax medical accounts for reimbursement of physical activity expenses; lower costs will promote active lifestyles and improve the health of Americans.
What Physical Activity Expenses Would PHIT Cover?
The activities eligible for pre-tax reimbursement under PHIT include:
- Youth & Adult Sports League Fees
- Health Club Membership Dues
- Exercise Classes & Personal Trainers
- Sports & Fitness Equipment (used exclusively for participation in physical activities)
- Youth Camps
- Organized Running Event Registration Fees
- Martial Arts, Gymnastics & other physical activities